Sunday, March 7, 2010

Mom's Chili


We had a nice Ward activity the other night. It was our annual chili cook-off and adult pinewood derby race. I didn't have time to do both a car and chili, so, of course, I chose food. I used my Mom's recipe. She passed away a couple of years ago at 91 years old. I have many fond memories of hanging out in the kitchen to grab some nibbles as she cooked. I once asked her if she liked to cook and she said "well, I like to eat, so I guess I like to cook too." When she was 67 she decided to write down all the favorite family recipes and some stories and put them in a family cook book to give to us kids for Christmas. It is the favorite thing I have to read and remember my Mom. It's better than a photo album because it is in her words and in her hand writing. Well, my Mom's recipe won "Best Overall" at the Ward dinner. It's nothing fancy, just good ol' ranch chili. But I like it and I guess others did too as I made over a gallon, and it was almost all gone. Several have asked for the recipe, so here it is. (If you click on the image it will enlarge, and just for the record, I used diced tomatos, not tomato sauce, and the "heat and eat" method for the beans!)

2 comments:

Tyler Jorgenson said...

Cool beans! (get it?!)

QnA Drapers said...

granny would be so proud of her chili!! She told me once when she was cooking and the cooked carrots fell on the floor she just sprinkled pepper on them to hide the dirt- did she give you that recipe?!