Saturday, January 8, 2011

First in war, first in peace, and first in the hearts of his countrymen.

Tonight my grandson Michael and I finished Douglas Southall Freeman's seven volume set biography of George Washington. In 2008 when Diane asked me what I would like for Christmas, I suggested this long out of circulation set (first published in 1957). Well, she found it on the internet and it is one of my all-time favorite gifts. I had also received, some time that year, a bookmark with a picture of Michael on it. So, for 2 years as I read thru this set, I had Michael with me all the while. TeriLe, Michael, and Daniel lived with us for a few years and I miss them all the time. But with this bookmark, it was like Michael was sitting with me every time I read of George Washington.
Washington was eulogized by many. Perhaps the most famous words (forming the title of this blog) were by Henry Lee, his long-time friend and fellow Virginian. But I think my favorite were by Thomas Jefferson: "His integrity was most pure, his justice the most inflexible I have ever known, no motives or interest or consanguinity, of friendship or hatred, being able to bias his decision. He was indeed, in every sense of the words, a wise, a good and a great man".
And so, somehow thru osmosis or something, this is what I wish for Michael. He's a good kid. I hope he learns well how to be a good man. I know TeriLe is teaching him how to work on the "farm" and that will help.
Michael, I hope you study hard in school, listen in Church, and mind your Mom. These are all things that George Washington did. I can't wait to see you again so I can tell you some of the stories I remember of George Washington. And, yes, I wish this for all my grand kids, but Michael's picture is sitting here looking at me! I hope they all learn to have integrity that is most pure.

Now go look up consanguinity....

4 comments:

Tyler Jorgenson said...

Consanguinity - Of the same blood. When used in this context it meant that Washington would not even bend his integrity for a family member. Integrity should not change with the wind, no matter whose blowing the wind at the time.

Sounds like a good read.

QnA Drapers said...

ahhh.. thats sweet. We're having them over for ice ream tomorrow. Youre welcome to join us! xoxo
And Tyler- thanks for looking that up. I really wasn't going to. hahaha!

Teresa said...

*tears* I'm going to print off that quote for Michael's room!

Crystal said...

George Washington is one of my best heroes. I have always loved him.
And your sun porch and laundry room look fantastic! You could have starred in your own reality show! You could start training your scouts to do stuff and have your own crew! The Scoutmaster and his Scalliwags...