Wednesday, September 9, 2009

On the trail again.


Sometime this last Spring I realized I hadn't been hiking and camping enough and decided I was going to get out more this year. After I made this decision some interesting things started happening. For some reason I found myself in the shed sorting through all my camping stuff, just wanting to see it all again. There are some great memories there and they came back as friends, almost asking why I had been ignoring them for so long. Then a friend called and said he wanted to climb Mt. Whitney this year. He lives on the east coast and works for the same company as me and we have gotten together several times to do some nice hikes in Yosemite and along the Appalachian Trail. Well, he wanted to climb the big one and so we made plans. And I started training for a pretty serious 3 day 45 mile hike.
And best of all was being able to do some hiking and camping with my son and grandson.
Even my wife suggested we go tent camping in Mammoth for Labor day (I couldn't find a campsite to reserve so we ended up in a condo... bummer, huh?!). But we did take the canoe and had a great time on the water and we also hiked to Devil's Postpile. How out-doorsy are we! OK, I wore a Hawaiian T shirt and not my North Face fleece, but it was warm! Di will have to post those pics... they are on her computer. Anyway, I have always loved the outdoors (especially the mountains) and I was getting right back into my element. So, here's where I'm going with this; I was told last week that I will be released from High Council during Stake Conference next week and that my Bishop had a calling for me. I figured in the last 7 years I have written and delivered over 70 talks and traveled many miles and fulfilled countless Stake assignments so I was OK to move on... but I had to wait for the Bishop to call me to find out my new calling. Have you guessed it? I am now the new scoutmaster for Troop 159 in Wrightwood. Well, who'd a thought? It's been a long time since I served with the youth and to be honest, I don't even know most of the boys that I will be working with. But this much I know, every one of them will be better for having been a scout. Scouting builds character. It builds friendships. It builds memories. And I am looking forward to every minute of it.
Have a great scouting day!
Bro. J, Scoutmaster Troop 159

3 comments:

Tyler Jorgenson said...

You'll be a great Scoutmaster!

Grandma P said...

How wonderful! What an exciting calling! I understand the love of the mountains...its been in my blood since I was little!

QnA Drapers said...

First of all, I think mom checked to make sure the campsites were full before suggesting camping... Second- Im thrilled for your calling! It will be so good for you and the scouts!! Have fun!!